Saturday, August 9, 2014

Rape vs. Gumdrops: Choosing Reality Over Ignorance

Recently, I have noticed a familiar trend amongst people like those around me growing up, and it is something that I find hard to stay silent about: People just aren't comfortable discussing anything that doesn't result in fuzzy comforting emotions. Granted, who would prefer to talk about rape, abuse, and mental health issues over how their newest Pinterest project is progressing?

Maybe it is my sense of reality or passion for such topics, but seriously, life does not solely consist of gumdrops and smooth baby butts. 

Look, it isn't as if I enter a conversation with someone I have never met beginning with, "Oh hey, I'm Dana and I have BPD because my childhood was tainted and I never learned how to be emotionally stable. You wanna be friends?' That clearly would be undesirable in any exchange; however, if the person I am talking to asks what my tattoo means, what my locket means, or what I blog about, I am not going to deny them of an answer. Ninety percent of the time, I am extremely vague about my experience unless people ask questions. 

Sometimes, I even say, "Well this tattoo has a pretty deep meaning, but I'm willing to tell you, if you want to listen..."

"Oh Sure! I love powerful meanings behind tattoos."

Five minutes later with a hint of repulsion I hear, "Oh umm well, sounds like that part of your life is over, and its in the past. Now you can focus on being happy."  

Uhhh...what?

Good intentions aside, being a survivor doesn't mean I have completely detached myself from my experience. I still get vivid flashbacks and new memories on a weekly basis. From that very definition, it really isn't over. Am I bathing in my past? No. Does it control every decision I make in my life? No. Has it helped shape who I am? Yes. Does it represent my strength? Absolutely. 

Choosing to discuss my experience openly in no way shape or form means I am still a victim. It simply means I have chosen to utilize the darkness I have seen to spread awareness. I have said before that to spread awareness, I must be blunt, and ugly. It frightens me that people can not handle the honest truth about what goes on in this world, because if they are scared, how can they stand up against it?

If one can not bear to watch the news because the crimes against humanity that are so common sickens them, so be it. However, if these same people are commenting about these crimes on what should be done, without true knowledge of the matter, then they are kidding themselves. 

I once was told off by a self-proclaimed victim advocate, because she was uncomfortable with a news channel revealing the report details on a sexual assault case. I was rather confused, as number one, victim advocates know the ins and outs of these dealings, and number two, if she couldn't handle the "vague" details, she would have been an awful victim advocate.

People have every right to separate themselves from the evil that exists in this world. I don't blame them, there is some heavy stuff happening right now. What I won't stand for is these same people pretending to be experts on such matters, especially when they are talking to me. It is invalidating and hurtful to all the other survivors who actually live with this pain every day.

The desire to get involved is one that is optional to everyone, but don't turn your head in disgust from the survivor if you can't stomach the truth.

3 comments:

  1. Very well put...thank you for expressing your experiences and thoughts so eloquently

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you on my FB page - the relative of a friend.

    I turn away these days. The reality is just too much for me now. The reality that no matter how hard the battle is fought, childhood sexual abuse is not going to go away. Too many offenders in every strata of society to see it dealt with in any potent way.

    My pursuit of information and ultimately attempting to find answers to a particular set of crimes, took me into the world of for profit pedophile rings. The ugliness is such that once looked at, it is impossible to look away. Yet for the sake of sanity it is imperative to do so.

    Like a rotten onion peeled away from itself, with seemingly no end to the many layers and stench; was the tragic truth. That four little ones and their torturous murders which set off a fire storm of fear that for a time crippled a community and forever devastated their families, were, in the landscape of the underbelly of humanity, simply small pebbles thrown into its murky waters...

    I spoke with victims. Whenever a survivor finds the strength to speak to the unspeakable. It is life changing for the speaker and the listener. It is heroic. I am moved literally.

    Blessings and thank you.
    M.F Cribari





    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a survivor of rape...I didnt & still don't talk about it much. it happened to me when I was in my 30's..anyways...Iinitially when I did seek counseling I hated it because I felt the insensitivity of the so-called expert. thx for expressing how I felt.

    ReplyDelete