Tuesday, July 15, 2014

I Need Help, and That's Okay

At the beginning of this week I was more inclined to throw my DBT manual in the dumpster than to practice any skills. Then, there came an instance where my only choice was to follow the rules, and do what I could to focus on the different methods of distress tolerance.

As I have stated before, I suffer from disabling nightmares. Recently, I journaled about the frequency and severity of them:
"The dreams are no better than they were last week. I become part of his world...he overpowers my thoughts of safety. When I try to change the scenario, it just re-morphs into a nightmare. I'm always tired, always scared. It infiltrates my reality, disabling me from moving. I just want to be numb. I want to sleep in absolution. No dreams, just emptiness. Nothing is real. I feel like I am walking in a desolate world. My tethers to reality are starting to slip away."
It is easy to see how my constant struggle with nightmares and flashbacks resulting in a lack of sleep could turn into a desire to escape reality.

The other night, the nightmare happened to transition into a dissociative episode once I awoke. I became my 8-year-old self and was unfamiliar with my surroundings which just magnified the terror I was experiencing. The only thing my husband could do was try to remind me of where I am. Eventually I was in the fetal position on our bed sobbing uncontrollably and barely able to breathe. I was forced to use self-soothing skills in order to calm my self back into a working slumber.

Within 48 hours after my episode I went through every single one of the other skills I had learned the previous DBT group session. Even more surprising was that I gathered the courage to call for coaching, because I felt myself starting to slip. Making the call was the hardest thing I have done in a while. Simply because in doing so, I was admitting that I needed help, and for those who know me, I am a stubborn mule when it comes to requesting assistance.

It was the first time I was able to say, "I am not doing well, and I need help" and feel absolutely no shame in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment