Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Local Business Taking a Stance

I haven't done two blog posts in a day thus far, but I felt a visit to a local coffee shop warranted a special two-fer.

It amazes me how a simple decision by one friend to visit a new coffee shop can unfold into such a gratifying experience. A friend of mine messaged me earlier this day saying he had gone to Lantern Coffee Bar and Lounge for the first time that morning. He informed me that they were displaying some moving art pieces in accordance with Sexual Assault Awareness month.

Obviously, I quickly looked them up on Facebook, and my heart grew warm from the information I found. This coffee shop has taken a stance against sexual violence by dedicating April to represent Sexual Assault Awareness Month. This year they celebrated their one year anniversary by donating proceeds to YWCA, who helps victims of sexual and domestic violence.

Furthermore, they have moving art pieces displayed through their lounge in dedication to the fight against sexual violence. A lot of the pieces display chalkboards correcting the many rape myths that fuel rape culture. Here are a few that were my favorites:



Considering I had such a huge rant against rape culture stemming from the invalidation I received for much of my life, along with my study on video games perpetuating rape culture, I was elated to see such a powerful message in this local coffee shop.

I hope I can team up with their staff next April for another moving Sexual Assault Awareness project.
Thank you Lantern Coffee Bar and Lounge for giving victims the support they need to speak up and ultimately morph into survivors.

No comments:

Post a Comment