Thursday, April 28, 2016

Re-Emergence

A half a year ago, I walked away from my blog...thinking there was no point to ever vocalize the inner monologue of my being ever again. I lived in complete silence, despite my claims of how living vulnerability is the only way to ever be courageous. Why?

Because it was necessary in order to "keep the peace." Yet, I've come so far in such a short time, and part of my mission through this blog was to provide a voice to those who may not be able to do so.

I'm not just talking about speaking out against sexual violence, domestic violence, or other acts of injustice, but about things I grew passionate about simply because of who I am as a person. 

Almost a year ago I revealed that I was gay, publicly. Most of those who were close to me already knew, but a lot of people were unaware. Most were accepting, some were confused, and a handful denied it. 

It isn't easy being open about who you are, and no doubt, things are progressing now for those in the LGBT, but it isn't all peaches and cream. People still struggle to accept themselves in a society that constantly tries to dictate "who they are." You can be as true to yourself as you possibly can be, but there are always going to be people trying to tell you that you are something else.

But it doesn't matter...because they aren't you...simple as that. 

People have seen me struggle, and I can say that, sure, it hasn't been a walk in the park, but that isn't because I'm gay...or because of my relationship with my partner. It is because I feel persecuted for my joy. 

I was told at one point, that it was okay to be gay as long as I lived alone and celibate. Like, are you kidding me? So, you want to deny a human being one of the most wonderful things we can experience as mankind, which is love...because you're uncomfortable with the idea of them having the same body parts?

Are we hurting anyone? Is our natural capability to love...evil somehow?

No.

What is hurting society is labels, stereotypes, hypocrites, ignorance, and mostly...the constant need to define someone based on subjective perceptions rather than critical thinking and acceptance. 

For the most part, I live a modest and private life...but that doesn't mean I'm afraid to tell anyone who desires to know about the joy and peace I have discovered through coming out.




No comments:

Post a Comment