Friday, January 3, 2014

It's a new day. It's a new dawn. It's a new life...

With every new year that arrives, along come the conventional resolutions surrounding goals of weight loss, becoming more organized, saving more money, or a my new personal favorite, adapting the YOLO lifestyle.

I think it is awesome to have a goal in mind, albeit surrounding the pressure to follow tradition, but how many of us actually follow through with our resolutions? Statistically speaking, only about 8% of people achieve their resolution. http://www.statisticbrain.com/new-years-resolution-statistics/

It isn't surprising, honestly, because we are creatures of habit and habits are hard to break. That doesn't mean it can't be done though. For me, resolutions shouldn't be just because you feel obligated to do so. It should be because you WANT to become a better person.

After I had Lincoln, I kept saying "I NEED to exercise. I NEED to eat healthier, because I'd LIKE to lose weight" but that didn't do me any good because deep down I didn't give two licks about taking care of myself. I just wanted to sit on the couch, shoveling any type of refined sugar into my gaping mouth, and watch Netflix. 

When I finally realized that I was destroying my body the "NEED" turned into "WANT" and the "LIKE" turned into "WILL." I transformed my bad habits into good ones. Now I can barely go a day without running.

So as I enter this new year, I have given myself resolutions but instead of my goals beginning with "I'd LIKE to...." they begin with "I WILL..."

So...

I WILL continue my health journey without falter.
I WILL challenge myself each week with not only my running, but also my strength workouts.
I WILL run in a sponsored 5k.
I WILL NOT feel guilty.

These are just my fitness based goals. I have many more that surround my general emotional and mental status, but those are a tad personal.

Remember, resolutions are much easier to accomplish when you have someone to hold you accountable. Pick someone you trust and check in with each other on a regular basis.

Good luck to all of you on your new journeys!

No comments:

Post a Comment