Monday, December 23, 2013

Still Strong

Two days before Christmas and the usual giddiness that surrounds this time of year has finally started to settle in. It has taken longer for me this year to wrangle up the holiday cheer, which is surprising considering this is Link's first Christmas.

Part of it might have to do with my husband's demanding work schedule getting in the way of really enjoying any traditions leading up to the 25th. Or possibly the continuing winter weather advisories that  West Michigan received, while no surprise, put a damper on life. Most of it, however, is attributed to the personal battles I have been facing in the past week. 

Like I stated in my previous post, I have to rebuild my emotional wall, and thus far it hasn't been easy. This process has enabled me to push myself in the physical aspect and because of that, I have consistently been able to run multiple 5ks, which I honestly did not think I could do at this point. However, within an hour of me completing a run, I slid back into a funk.

I felt like a hypocrite because I have been talking about strength and pushing through boundaries and although I have physically been able to do that, my emotional stability has been less than solid. 

It wasn't until I spoke to a friend who I have recently connected with that I realized, I'm not weak, just normal. Part of life is dealing with unexpected "flaring"of a past you would rather long forget. I came to the conclusion that I may have a bad couple of weeks, which is okay because I am truly still strong. I will eventually shatter that wall once again and continue on with my journey.

I am grateful for this friend, because although she may not realize her impact, she put things in perspective for me. 

I can finally enjoy what is left of Christmas and I can't wait to get back out on the road, figuratively and literally.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment