Monday, December 9, 2013

I run because...

This morning I woke up to a snow covered drive way and street and although as a Michigander this doesn't surprise me, I was rather discouraged. My intention had been to go on a short run, but since I haven't invested in a pair of Yaktrax, that idea vanished with one fell swoop. So instead I have chosen to rest and to anyone else that might seem like a smashing plan, but inside I am dying.

No, I don't have a treadmill, and yes, I could do other indoor activities to raise my heart rate; however, nothing is quite the same as running. 

To many, running is a drug, and I completely understand that now. It is a combination of the adrenaline rush, endorphins, but mostly empowerment generated from the ability to turn negative energy into a positive outlook just from 25 minutes of pushing yourself.

Anyone who comes in contact with me on a regular basis is aware of how high-strung I can be.  Sadly, it is just in my nature. The littlest things can stress me out and it is mostly because I immediately see the negative in any situation. My husband calls me a cynic, I prefer the word "realist." 

My past, while filled with amazing memories, is also spotted with darkness caused by some pretty heavy events, so I am actually pretty tough-skinned. It has made me strong-willed and I generally don't falter in confrontation. On the other hand, it enables me to detect adversity instantly. I sometimes just can't give a situation the benefit of the doubt because of what I experienced. Unfortunately, it is my fatal flaw.

Running helps suppress it. 

I finally found something that reminds me of how amazing life really is. The fact that I have been blessed with the ability to run even when statistically I shouldn't be able to, is a constant reminder of how strong I really am.  

This whole journey I have embarked on is more than just about losing weight. Or even about being healthy. It is about embracing the life I was blessed with no matter what hardships I have faced. I did not want to have that "Why bother" mentality anymore, because it wasn't the person I had aimed myself to be. 

Running resets my brain. It reminds me that we are tested constantly in the walk of life and if I have been given the capability to push myself through a physical barrier, there is no reason I can't conquer any emotional situation just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment