Monday, December 2, 2013

Pushing Through Judgement

So....I made it through Thanksgiving!

Progress update:

  • I've lost a total of about 6 lbs
  • I've lost a total of 4 inches off my waist and hips.
I'm not gonna lie, these past couple weeks have been a doozy. Because I had not yet invested in a proper pair of running shoes, I managed to injure my ankle. Not seriously, yet enough to hinder my performance during my workout sessions. I decided it was time to get fitted for the right shoe.

I followed the advice of some friends and family and visited a local run/walk shoe shop. They are known for taking the time to fit people in the correct shoes by watching you walk and accurately measuring your foot length, arch height, etc. I brought Link with me, which I assumed wouldn't be an issue.

When I walked in, I was greeted promptly, and asked what I was in for. I explained that I was getting back into running and needed a fitting. The young girl working just said "okay," without a smile and directed me to the chairs. She measured my foot and watched me walk then disappeared into the back room to grab multiple brands of shoes for me to try on. 

The whole time I was trying on shoes, to me, it seemed like she really wasn't making an effort. It was almost as if she couldn't believe that this overweight mom was running and/or she was perturbed by Link being in the store with me. Almost EVERY store that I am in, when I am talking to a sales associate, they are usually fawning over his overwhelmingly adorable cheeks and making baby noises. This girl acted as if he didn't exist. When I had to calm him down a couple times, she kinda made this face as if she had just thrown up in her mouth and was trying to choke it back down.

Don't get me wrong, she did ultimately help me find the right shoe, but it wasn't until after I had left the store and gone home to think about it. I appreciate a non-pushy sales experience, but she wasn't even trying. Because it was so awkward, I initially chose a pair of Saucony's that felt pretty comfortable, but not as "cushy" as a pair of Nike's that I had tried on previously. The only reason I chose the Saucony's were because they were slightly cheaper. The girl said she would put them on hold for a couple days, even after I told her I probably would buy a pair that day if my husband said it was okay. She just kept saying, "Eh, I'll just put them on hold." I was like "Mmm...okay?"

So needless to say, I felt extremely uncomfortable, and strolled out the door without the usual retail "have a nice day" following me.  I called my husband and told him about the whole experience and asked him what I should do. He asked me, "Well, forget about the girl, which shoe felt the best?" I said "The Nike's." He said, "Then buy the freakin' Nike's. I don't care if they are a little bit more expensive." SOLD!

Honestly, all that sales associate had to do was make me feel comfortable with my own decision. She made me doubt every choice I made by having a quizzical look on her face as a reaction every time I asked for her opinion. So I ended up looking online for the Nike's, found them on sale, and now they will be on my doorstep this afternoon. The local store could have had my sale, but they lost it simply by not being more interested in my particular situation.

I don't want to point fingers and say that I was necessarily judged for being a certain size or being a mom, but it sure felt like it.  Coincidentally, if my mom, who is extremely fit, yet far from a runner (no offense Mom), had gone in to this store, there probably would have been less of an obligation and more of a desire to help. 

Regardless of how I felt when I left that store, I didn't let it affect my desire to continue my lifestyle. I kind of have this John Locke mentality when it comes to fitness:

"Don't tell me what I can't do."

Everywhere I read tells me I shouldn't be able to do what I am doing, but they are wrong. If you are willing to push yourself, do it! Just be smart about it! Wear a heart-rate monitor, and stretch. Ice if you have to and always warm up!

Here is to all of us kicking down those mental walls and pushing our physical boundaries!

No comments:

Post a Comment