Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Different Plan, Same Journey.

So it has been about two months since I came back to my blog with a new outlook on life. So far, my desire to transform has paid off. Progress report with recent achievements is as follows:
  1. I have lost 12 pounds in a little over 2 months (Slow and steady does win the race!)
  2. I have lost 5 inches on my waist and hips. I have no idea about the other parts of my body but I know my face is a lot skinner and so are my legs.
  3. I have run numerous 5ks and my first 10k yesterday. WOOP!
  4. I have not purchased any candy to consume since Nov 5th. (That for me folks is huge)
  5. A non-fitness achievement: I have found a new friend I can trust and relate to. Which is awesome.
In the past couple of months, there have been plenty of bumps in the road and I have had to adjust accordingly. The original Rugged Regimen that I was following was super awesome because it was focused on running and strength training but I ran into a snafu when I injured my ankle. Also, I came to a point in the program where I needed certain equipment to complete the regimen and unfortunately there was not an appropriate at home alternative for these exercises. 

I obviously decided to continue to run, with an everlasting goal to increase my distance and quicken my pace. On my non-running days I use the Nike Training app which is actually aimed towards women. It is a great app and even lets you focus on certain areas of the body if you would like. I have one rest day a week. 

I have recently altered my diet to include more carbs. This doesn't mean I can eat sweet stuff. It just means I need more complex carbs in my diet because I have decided to be a distance runner. I still intake quite a bit of protein, but when I realized I was stalling, a friend of mine who is a personal trainer said "Up the carbs!!" Immediately after that, I was back on track.

During the past two months I uncovered the rawness beneath the thick skin I have enveloped myself in over the years. It made me realize that you just can't bury things until they go away, because they never do. The important thing is how you choose to deal with them when they come back. Running and a new friendship has helped me re-establish my footing and I am grateful for that.

So despite many alterations in my original plan, I am still on the same journey I set out on two months ago. Now, I just have a little bit more realism tossed into the mix.  

For any new moms, or frankly anyone, who has started on their own journey, keep at it! I know it is difficult, but I promise the reward is worth the challenge. Remember, happiness is the true goal. You need to be happy with yourself before you can be healthy.

Thanks to all those who actually read my blog, because that means I'm at least reaching one person with my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment