Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Survivor Privilege....What Privilege?

If you have any insight into what is floating around Twitter right now, you may have noticed the #survivorprivilege trend by now. It was started by an activist named Wagatwe Wanjuki in reaction to columnist George F. Will's ridiculous article stating that being a rape survivor is a "coveted status." Since then, Twitter and Facebook has been exploding with what we, as survivors, consider survivor privilege. Meant to be a sarcastic response to Will's idiotic column, turned out to be a powerful movement.

Just go to Twitter and search #survivorprivilege. You will be shocked at the responses. I promise.

For me survivor privilege means:
  • Having people in high school call you slut because they consider being raped losing your virginity. (Yes, that actually happened).
  • Having a panic attack every time you go to your OBGYN for a yearly exam.
  • Spending thousands of dollars on therapy just so you can sleep at night.
  • Wanting to die rather than have another flashback.
  • Not being able to have sex with your husband because all you see is your attacker's face.
  • Never seeing true justice.
  • Having to constantly explain yourself when you suddenly break down in public.
  • Shunning every man that makes even one misogynistic comment, because it makes you sick to your stomach.
  • You can't enjoy the simple things in life like the transition from Winter to Spring, because it is a trigger.
  • Waiting 18 years to voice your story, because of constant shame and ridicule.
It also means:
  • Being able to help other survivors.
  • Being stronger than most.
  • Having a sense of gratefulness when you start to heal.
  • Knowing you aren't alone.
  • Having the courage to be an advocate.
  • Having the ability to teach your son how to REALLY respect women.
I have stated in previous posts that I may never forgive the man that violated me, but that doesn't mean I am consumed by hatred. All it means is I will never say it is okay, because it isn't. What I will say is that I am privileged to be able to help others in my walk through life, and that is probably the one thing that gets me through those days that I start crumbling.

There will be a continuing fight against Sexual Violence, and I am only one among many warriors in the battle. To others alongside me, I thank you for your continued efforts. Keep fighting.






No comments:

Post a Comment