Friday, May 30, 2014

I Run For Maya

Those of you who are Facebook friends with me, are aware that on Wednesday, May 28th (2014), I was constantly posting about my biggest inspiration, Dr. Maya Angelou. I read I know Why the Caged Bird Sings, for the first time in high school, and was incredibly moved by it. I honestly don't know anyone who has read that book, who wasn't moved. For me though, it struck a deep chord in my being, giving me a sense of courage that one day, I too would be able to share my story.

On April 12th, 2014, amidst my 30 days of blogging through Sexual Assault Awareness Month, I channeled Maya when I was unnerved at the thought of revealing one of the iconic events that play over in my mind. Reading some of her most powerful quotes helped recenter my thoughts and fight through my fear. I was able to finally break through that barrier and start really telling my story.



Even the next day, I wrote with her in mind with my post I Have a Song to Sing

When news of her death started spreading like wildfire and eventually hit my news feed, I was floored. I had been so focused on her work since April, it just made it harder for me to swallow. Six days before her passing, I went to the library to check out a couple of her books I hadn't read yet. My husband said yesterday, "Well good thing, because NOW everyone will probably be asking for them." True. 

Recent interviews, links to poems, and celebrities words of gratefulness towards Maya began flooding the web and television. I teared up with every clip, quote, and tweet. There is nothing Maya said, that wasn't profound. She was the ultimate warrior goddess and mother to all of those who let her. 

Tomorrow,  I will be running the Virtual 5k for RAINN, and they sent me a bib to fill out why I am running. I decided to dedicate my run to the life of Dr. Maya Angelou, because without her courage and wisdom, mine would not have flourished.


I shared my bib with RAINN on the day Maya passed, and to my surprise it was retweeted many times by various people. It just shows how influential her life was to all of those who at one point thought hope was impossible. 

Although it saddens me that Maya Angelou has passed, especially since I was in the process of writing a letter to her, I am happy that she was able to touch so many people with the horrific story of her childhood. She will forever be in my thoughts as I work towards publishing my memoir.

Dr. Maya Angelou, I am running for you because of all you have done for those who found hope through your honesty and love. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment